
1. Yesterday interem's went home. I wrote on a student's form," There is constant repetition needed for retention." I got a note back from the parent saying, "This is not an option. I know the statistics for my people. It affects their social/emotional needs for the rest of their lives." I wrote back to the parent saying I was referring to retention "of concepts", not the "grade level."
2. Yesterday I had to restrain a child (which I hate doing). He was trying to break the study carrel with his feet and bang his head on the wall of it. He was crying and saying how much he hated me. Today he brought in an apology note saying I was the coolest teacher ever.
3. Today I had my 4th grade boys write letters to their moms. I started off saying that the letter does not have to be to mom, knowing only half of them do live with their mom. Well two in particular that did not live with mom, insisted they would make a really good one for her. We got on the computer and found pictures to put on their cards. One of my boys started crying. He couldn't write in cursive good enough and he wanted her to see him write in cursive. I got to have him trace mine. Then my other boy started crying, he couldn't cut straight enough,I had to help him with that. They wanted to impress their moms so much! I had to explain to them that their mom would be happy just knowing they was thinking of her.
So when I come home from an exhausting day of work....I get to look back on these memories and know it was worth it!
3 comments:
You have a seriously hard job. You are amazing. I don't know if I could do that every day. At least you know you are making a difference!
I am glad they was thinking of their mothers
It is really great that you get to influence and mold children into the people that they will be. That has got to be hard, but very rewarding. I wanted to be a teacher until I took a class on discipline and then I decided that I didn't want to have to discipline other peoples' kids.
Good job at seeing the positive in everything.
~Rebecca (Kevin's wife)
Post a Comment